Remember that reboot of The Mummy that came out a few months ago? No? Well, the spin-off game might be worth a look.
The Mummy Demastered, in development at WayForward, looks reminiscent of their earlier DS game Aliens: Infestation, albeit with a much less cool franchise behind it. Right at the end the eponymous mummy is shown summoning a giant spider, and Tom Cruise is nowhere to be found. You'll be playing as “an elite agent in the monster-hunting Prodigium organization” instead (whatever that means).
Having not seen the movie I can't say how closely this game resembles it; having seen the trailer for the movie, I suspect the answer is ‘not a jot'. But that's probably a good thing – by most reports the film was a bit rubbish, and this looks pretty fun.
Wayforward has listed some ‘key features' on the trailer's YouTube page:
- Stunning retro-inspired graphics and atmospheric chiptune soundtrack
- Shoot-'em-up action meets exploration-based adventuring
- Fight for survival against swarms of horrifying enemies and bosses
- Obliterate monsters with an arsenal of weapons including grenades, a flamethrower and more
- Uncover and collect 50 hidden relics
The game is ‘coming soon' to PC, PS4, Xbox One and Switch.